With the national conversation focused on women’s empowerment, and the number of applications to women’s colleges on the rise, there’s no better time to explore new ways to advance these trends and our shared mission at the same time. As a provider of scholarships to young women, our applicants represent high achieving, qualified candidates who have already recognized the value of a women’s college education and are well positioned to consider this path.
The Sunflower Initiative offers an additional level of financial support to young women. Working together, we can give them the life-changing college experience these young women deserve.
“Students who choose a women’s college will have a unique opportunity to engage in a program designed with women at the center. It is a different experience and a powerful experience."
Ann McElaney-Johnson, president of Mount Saint Mary’s University
in California and chair of the Women’s College Coalition
Studies have consistently shown that women who graduate from women's colleges are more likely to
- Obtain graduate degrees
- Gain a significant leadership role in college
- Possess more self-confidence and show more initiative
- Choose more traditionally male career paths
- Benefit from greater understanding of diversity than at co-ed colleges
- Score higher on standardized tests
- Develop significantly higher levels of self-esteem than other achieving women at co-ed institutions
- Report greater satisfaction with their college experience
- Engage in civic activities after college
- Develop higher order critical thinking skills
Women’s colleges are successful at educating and training women because it is their sole mission to do so.
They have a long history of teaching women to lean in and achieve their greatest potential.
To see the latest research on the benefits of single-sex education visit:
Find Your Fit
Explore Women's Colleges in the United States
Visit the Women’s College Coalition for a comprehensive list and links to the individual colleges.
- Agnes Scott College
- Alverno College
- Barnard College
- Bay Path University
- Bennett College
- Brenau University
- Brescia University College
- Bryn Mawr College
- Cedar Crest College
- College of Saint Benedict
- College of Saint Mary
- Converse College
- Cottey College
- Hollins University
- Meredith College
- Moore College of Art and Design
- Mount Holyoke College
- Mount Mary College
- Mount Saint Mary’s University
- Notre Dame of Maryland University
- Russell Sage College of the Sage Colleges
- Saint Catherine University
- Saint Mary’s College
- Salem College
- Scripps College
- Simmons University
- Smith College
- Spelman College
- Stephens College
- Sweet Briar College
- Trinity Washington University
- University of Saint Joseph
- Wellesley College
- Wesleyan College
Ready to experience what a women’s college has to offer?
- an academic community dedicated to building your self-confidence and leadership skills.
- a place where your opinions are valued and you are encouraged to express them.
- a supportive environment to prepare you for a more abundant life.
The Sunflower Initiative may help give you the resources to get there.